Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Tightening the mailing-list rules against spammers

As you know we are running a small Forum & Mailinglist. It's a standard mailman list and I have always tried to keep the barrier of entry as low as possible to allow everyone who wants to participate in. That's why we have the Nabble web integration on our Website. Unfortunately some smart spammers thought they can send some very informative emails about growing certain body parts to the list. Since I have to moderate any non-subscriber when they post to the list I have a little amount of work allowing people in. Now with more than 20 spam emails arriving at the list per day I am not able to check all of the spam messages and filter out the one or maybe two messages that are not spam. Because of this I am introducing a new policy for the mailing-list effective right away. All non-subscriber emails are automatically discarded there is no message sent in reply to the sender nor does anything arrive at the list. From now on you HAVE TO SUBSCRIBE IN ORDER TO POST to the mailing list. I am sorry that I have to do this but until we haven't won the fight against spammers these problems will persist.
You can subscribe to the mailing list either through Nabble, you need a Nabble account for this. Or through the normal list admin interface that is available here: http://airshipworld.info/mailman/listinfo/the-list_airshipworld.info
I am sorry for any inconvenience this might cause.

No comments: